[Development] QMetaType support for QFuture

Arno Rehn a.rehn at menlosystems.com
Fri May 7 16:07:00 CEST 2021

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on making QFuture return types work transparently
in QtWebChannel. For remote clients, method return values are received
asynchronously via callbacks anyway.

However, QFuture introspection is not supported by the meta-type (yet)
and there's no other way to register a generic QVariant-based
continuation for "any" QFuture. All implementation details are private
or protected and only some friend classes have access.

I was wondering if I should add a local "workaround" to QWebChannel only
(like QWebChannel::registerFutureType<int>() to support QFuture<int>) or
if I should push something more general to QtCore. Maybe just some
additional private API that supports the necessary private member access?

Looking forward to some feedback.

Regards,
Arno

--
Arno Rehn
Tel +49 89 189 166 0
a.rehn at menlosystems.com
www.menlosystems.com

Menlo Systems GmbH
Bunsenstrasse 5, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany
Amtsgericht München HRB 138145
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Mei, Dr. Ronald Holzwarth
USt.-IdNr. DE217772017, St.-Nr. 14316170324