[Development] Commercial LTS Qt 5.15.4 released

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu May 13 22:44:52 CEST 2021

May 13, 2021 10:29 PM, "Lorn Potter" <lorn.potter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/5/21 8:00 PM, Kevin Kofler via Development wrote:
>
>> KDE is maintaining their own 5.15 branches, e.g.:
>> https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtbase/-/commits/kde/5.15
>
> I'm not kde developer, but I am sure kde has almost always had their own
> fork of Qt.

Nope.

We used to have a tree of Qt known as 'qt-copy' in the pre-Nokia days, as it was very difficult to submit patches into Qt at the time. This was often the version of Qt you got from Linux distros back then.

We dropped qt-copy quickly when Qt started having public repositories, a working contribution path and Qt Open Governance. In fact, we loved this so much that we also started upstreaming tens of thousands of kdelibs sloc or equivalent features and API concepts into Qt 4/5 (e.g. QStandardPaths, lots of things in QLocale and QAction, ...). Since then there's no KApplication anymore - just a plain old QApplication.

I'm also not sure the patch collection against 5.15.2 really qualifies as a _fork_ in the traditional sense. It's not diverging from a public branch we could contribute to instead. At least it's not more of a fork than the (hidden) LTS branch is.

Cheers,
Eike