[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Ulf Hermann ulf.hermann at qt.io
Wed May 19 17:03:24 CEST 2021

> Rather than just move to another IRC server, we should really take
> this as an opportunity to move to another chat service as the
> official Qt Project chat.  IRC has a terrible user experience and is
> not at all accessible for people who haven't been using it for
> decades like many of us. It does us a huge disservice when trying to
> attracting new contributors to point to our IRC.  There are lots of
> better options out there now (which I see some of you on already), so
> lets move on already.

The problematic point is "lots of better options". We need to agree on
one thing here, and it should be something that doesn't shut down
tomorrow. Maybe you can share some of the options that people already use.

Considering that IRC, being all plain text with rather weak
authentication, was enough so far, I don't think privacy is such a big
deal here. The most important thing are the public channels and those
are, well, not private.

Barrier to entry should indeed be lower than IRC, and for me that means
there shouldn't be an elaborate registration procedure.

best,
Ulf