[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed May 19 18:21:38 CEST 2021

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 12:30, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > Aren't all the kids these days moving to Discord?
>
> Discord is not free software, so it does not align well with a free
> software project.

QtCentre is not free software
forum.qt.io is not free software

What is the point of having alignment on the license of the service with the project license? Shouldn't the service be able to pick the best (for various definitions of "best") software for providing the service? Open Source servers may still require onerous terms of service to be used, the underlying code license implementing the service is a separate matter. I would say that as long as there is openly available clients for users to use, the license isn't as important as the terms of use for the service itself. (I'm sure Stallman would still disagree though) I'm open to preferring open services, but I just think the terms are more important than the license of the code base implementing the service, for me anyway.

I often wonder if Qt is still qualifies as "free software" under the new management? (Stopping LTS for OpenSource users in the middle of a LTS series really shattered my trust in Digia, if you can't tell)