[Development] Svar: Changes to Freenode's IRC

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu May 20 10:21:15 CEST 2021

>> Fra: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> på vegne av Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com>
>> Dato: onsdag, 19. mai 2021 kl. 18:24
>> Til: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer at gmail.com>
>> Kopi: development <development at qt-project.org>
>> Emne: Re: [Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC
>>
>> > Hi!

>> > Discord is not free software, so it does not align well with a free
>> > software project.
>>
>> QtCentre is not free software
>> forum.qt.io is not free software
>>
>> What is the point of having alignment on the license of the service with the project license? Shouldn't the service be able to pick the best (for various definitions of "best") software for providing the service? Open Source servers may still require onerous terms of service to be used, the underlying code license implementing the service is a separate matter. I would say that as long as there is openly available clients for users to use, the license isn't as important as the terms of use for the service itself. (I'm sure Stallman would still disagree though) I'm open to preferring open services, but I just think the terms are more important than the license of the code base implementing the service, for me anyway.

> On 20 May 2021, at 07:44, Andy Shaw <andy.shaw at qt.io> wrote:
>
> I can’t speak for QtCentre as that is not something the Qt Project has any control over at all. But forum.qt.io is using NodeBB which is an OpenSource project, so unless I am missing something then it is free software.
>
> Andy

Whatever service we use should be Open Source, and not rely on proprietary protocols.

But the other question is who operates the service. It doesn’t matter if the service is Open Source if the community doesn't trust the operating entity.

So, how many people and entities do we have in the Qt community that have the capacity, competence, and credentials to run a service? I personally would very much like to see certain aspects of the community at large to be less entangled with The Qt Company. The qt-project.org page is a good start. But that requires that someone actually steps up and says “I’ll do it”. Funding can always be discussed.

So Jason, how about it? :P

Volker