[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Thu May 20 19:52:03 CEST 2021

> On 20. May 2021, at 19:20, Robert Löhning <robert.loehning at qt.io> wrote:
>
> Am 20.05.21 um 15:18 schrieb Alexandru Croitor:
>> Hi,
>> In my opinion this is a good opportunity to move away from IRC to something more modern.
>> (..)
>> Matrix is open source, has Qt based clients, has modern features, and if push comes to shove, can bridge with IRC.
>
> Hi Alexandru,
>
> could you please elaborate what you mean by "modern"?

- history scroll back
- searching channel comments
- markdown support
- code snippet highlighting per language
- comment editing
- message removal
- direct link message sharing
- file sharing (uploads directly into channel / chat)
- audio and video calls
- notifications when you are offline
- no need to run your own bouncer service to keep history when you're offline
- federated (in the case of matrix)