[Development] Changes to Freenode's IRC

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu May 20 20:58:52 CEST 2021

Hello,

Il 20/05/21 20:46, Carl Schwan ha scritto:
> I believe the best course of action would be to wait a bit until KDE moves
> its freenode presence to libera (should happen soon).

Is this decision already taken? I didn't find an outcome of the
discussion on kde-community.

> And then Qt can move
> its freenode channels to libera

This is the "problem": if it's moving _official_ channels, or even just
officially acquiring the namespace/channels on Libera.Chat (without
dropping from freenode, at least for the time being): it requires
community consensus. I'm trying to gather such consensus.

> and add Matrix bridging to the new channels
> with the KDE-Matrix instance.
>
> People who prefer IRC will still be able to use IRC, people who would like
> to use a more modern chat protocol can use Matrix and both will be able to
> communicate together using the Matrix bridge.
>
> Currently, there are already some unofficial matrix channels bridged to the Qt
> IRC channels (e.g. #_freenode_#qt-labs:kde.org) but making them official,
> grouping them into a Matrix Space[1] and encouraging people to join them could
> help to make Qt a friendlier project to join.

Well, this is nice to hear. :)

Thanks,

KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts