[Development] Svar: Changes to Freenode's IRC

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Thu May 20 21:48:27 CEST 2021

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io>
wrote:

> But the other question is who operates the service. It doesn’t matter if
> the service is Open Source if the community doesn't trust the operating
> entity.

Obviously, but Jason has a point. I can even give you an example:

When was it decided that your company should start sending unsolicited
advertisement emails?
I get these weird things for some time now, which I didn't use to get a few
years ago, mind you. And they end with:
You received this email because you are subscribed to Newsletters from The
Qt Company.

... which I can assure you I never explicitly did.
So this doesn't really inspire much confidence in the way TQtC handles this
user information.
*Note*, I'm not saying it's illegal, nor that I can't explicitly
unsubscribe, but then again I wonder (I don't really know) if people
registering just to post on forum.qt.io simply to get some user help also
get added (semi)automatically to these lists.
Do they?

> I personally would very much like to see certain aspects of the community
> at large to be less entangled with The Qt Company. The qt-project.org
> page is a good start. But that requires that someone actually steps up and
> says “I’ll do it”. Funding can always be discussed.

Funding does come with strings.
Example 2:
We were happily chugging along in the forum without much interaction with
the QtC, or with the other community channels really. One day a button
appeared that went to the marketplace you'd just started. Now, I don't mind
it much, simply because I realize and am grateful for the provided infra to
run the forum, but there wasn't a discussion or anything. It just appeared.
Again, neither illegal, nor "bad" in itself, just saying that it doesn't
inspire much confidence that the "community"'s opinion is regarded in a
significant way.
Kind regards,
Konstantin.