[Development] Renamed (again): Qt licensing shenanigans (again)

Rui Oliveira ruilvo at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 19:26:19 CEST 2021

Every conversation ends up in what is already the C++ subject of the year :D

I've been vocally critical of what has happened, same as everybody else,
even though I'm a mere passive observer, for now...

But lemme say some things:

I agree with Jason: Doing the "no LTS for FOSS" at the moment of the
5.15->6.0 change was really a foul play, imho.

Everybody knew 6.0 was a subset of Qt, and that 6.x would be that way
for a long while... It happened at the most harmful time, really... If
it was on 6.2 and I had to move to 6.3 instead of 6.2.3, fine, I prefer
to do that anyway... Now 5.15.2 or... Nothing viable, really...

Other thing I noticed was this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/QTCOM.HE/key-statistics?p=QTCOM.HE

Over 300% year-over-year change. Whatever the Qt company is doing, it's
resonating with its investors. And don't be fooled. A for profit company
serves to generate revenue. Any product or service it sells is the means
to achieve that revenue. This is what drives decisions. Not a bunch of
angry programmers.

No official FOSS edition offline installers, no FOSS LTS binaries (and
no source for 12 months), mandatory registration, are all aspects that
don't particularly drive community contributions. I might be wrong...
There's also the aspect if its in the interest of TQtC to have those
contributions...  I mean, Qt has some commercial-only offerings, and
embeded/auto seem to be the driver of the company right now... The
income from buyers of the automotive suite maybe are worth the man-hours
of hypothetical FOSS contributors? I wouldn't know, but that does cross
my mind.

Honestly, and this is repeating myself, I look at other ecosystems like
C# and I see webasm and desktop having renewed interest and new and
interesting tech stacks... Even on the C++ world, we now have things
like DearImGui... Of course the later is not for any half-reasonable
desktop application (imho) but still...

It's so weird the situation around this library, its technology and what
it stands to do...

We'll probably circle around this discussion again and again during
times to come, so I'm just leaving my 2 cents.

Let's code.
Rui