[Development] Moving IRC from Freenode to Libera.Chat, voting thread

Tor Arne Vestbø Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io
Sat May 22 12:20:46 CEST 2021

+1

Cheers,
Tor Arne

On 22 May 2021, at 03:06, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>> wrote:

Hi,

As detailed in the other thread, I'd like to gather lazy consensus for moving the official IRC presence from Freenode to Libera.Chat.

Please use this thread for voting ONLY. Apologies for all the formality, but what I thought should've been a rather painless decision blew out of proportion.

== SCOPE ==

This is EXCLUSIVELY asking whether to transfer the official IRC presence of Qt Project channels from Freenode (current) to Libera.Chat.

This is NOT about anything else: not about changing the structure of IRC channels; not about establishing (or not) other IRC channels elsewhere; not about using (or not) other IM technologies; not about changing chat policies and practices; not about any implication of past, present or future endorsement (or not) for other community platforms.

== WHY ==

See the other thread,

https://kline.sh/

https://gist.github.com/shadowcat-mst/998cea12794768bdb3da2daeff31baad

for a summary.

== CONSEQUENCES OF A VOTE IN FAVOUR OF THE MOVE ==

1) We will move the official IRC presence from Freenode to Libera.Chat.

2) As per https://libera.chat/chanreg the Qt Project will officially reserve #qt* as *project* channels. A contact will likely be needed to bridge IRC administration and Qt Project. I (personally, not KDAB-endorsed) volunteer to be such contact, given it's completely unclear who the existing Freenode contacts are and/or if they're available for this transition. My nick is `peppe` on Libera (and Freenode). Backup contacts are welcome, they can be established later, feel free to contact me (not in this thread!!!) if interested.

3) We will *keep* the Freenode presence, in primis to avoid squatting of the Qt channels there. People will still be able to use them, if they'd like to. (We'll likely point the topics, the autojoin messages, etc. to the corresponding channels on Libera, to make people aware of the move and ease them in the transition.) We will however NOT guarantee any respect of the Qt Project policies on Freenode, nor any continuity in active administration (as these channels won't be endorsed any more).

4) We will rebuild the same channel structure on Libera. Any necessary adjustment can be decided later.

5) We'll adjust official documentation etc. as needed.

== CONSEQUENCES OF A VOTE AGAINST THE MOVE ==

1) We will keep the Qt Project official IRC presence on Freenode (as it is right now). Nothing will change there -- a vote against does NOT imply dropping nor changing the official Freenode presence.

2) I will ask Libera.Chat to unlock #qt-* from being "reserved for a project" (given the Qt Project doesn't want them). Re-gaining them as *community* channels can still be done, details to be discussed elsewhere (off topic for this list; although again, I volunteer to move this forward).

== HOW TO VOTE ==

Simply reply to this email thread, expressing your vote in favour or against the move. Sorry, we don't have a "better" system, and I don't want to bend Gerrit backwards for this.

Please make sure your vote appears on mailman's archives.

== VOTING SYSTEM ==

Lazy consensus (simple majority), see QUIP-2.

== DEADLINE FOR VOTING ==

23.59 CEST of Thursday 27 May 2021.

== QUESTIONS ==

If something is unclear, by all means, ask questions in private, I'll try to clarify them, and then reply to this thread adding clarification as needed.

== OTHER CONSIDERATIONS ==

These go in other threads.

Thanks,

KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts