[Development] New Qt Multimedia

Samuel Gaist samuel.gaist at idiap.ch
Fri May 28 13:38:44 CEST 2021

> On 28 May 2021, at 11:31, Tor Arne Vestbø <tor.arne.vestbo at qt.io> wrote:
>

> Cheers,
> Tor Arne
>
>> On 28 May 2021, at 10:54, Samuel Gaist via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On 28 May 2021, at 10:37, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> How have you implemented those? If you implemented a gstreamer element for those cameras, and gst-device-monitor lists them correctly, we’ll simply pick them up.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lars
>>
>> Not GStreamer as almost all devices required a custom SDK to operate the hardware.
>>
>> These SDKs were available for different platforms. The main targets were macOS and Windows with testing on Linux when possible.
>>
>> They were all QMediaService plugins providing Q_MEDIASERVICE_CAMERA.
>
> Similar to GStreamer, could these HW not be implemented/exposed as camera providers at the OS level on macOS and Windows?
>
> Tor Arne

Technically speaking, these were not cameras but “multimedia acquisition” hardware, you could have one or more inputs that would in the end be connected to a camera or a device proving video/audio data.
Their SDKs allowed me to integrate the acquisition and control parts within Qt Multimedia in a clean and simple way.
I must say that I did not try to implement something else that was platform specific since we were provided with these SDK’s and how to use them in applications. Each platform was getting a set of header, libraries and samples.
One could do the rendering in a more direct way but integrating these with QtMultimedia allowed to take advantage of the infrastructure in place and be able to use both widgets and QtQuick with the same set of devices.

Best regards

Samuel