[Development] New Qt Multimedia

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri May 28 15:34:24 CEST 2021

> On 26/05/21 15:09, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > The hope is that we can change that for Qt 6. To make this possible, we have changed not only parts of the public API, but completely redone its internal architecture, especially how multimedia connects to the platform specific backends. Apart from cleaning up the backend API and greatly simplifying it, I also chose to make it private and remove the plugin architecture around it. The backend is now selected at compile time, and we’re now only supporting one backend per platform.
>
> can you please clarify what this would mean for projects (like Ubuntu
> Touch) which are using their own QtMultimedia plugins?
> Supporting one plugin per platform seems reasonable, but making the
> plugin API private and selecting the plugin at compile time probably
> means that all multimedia backends must be made part of QtMultimedia git
> repository, right?

Good question. How would the RaspberryPi Camera work? Currently, I am using https://github.com/brianjaustin/qt-raspicam which is an open but somewhat proprietary stack.

There seems to be some work (May 2020) to get the PiCamera working with libcamera, however this is not a simple change:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/tree/master/linux/software/libcamera
Which requires modifying config.txt and rebooting, making the original Pi Camera stack not work. Also, I don't think the Pis come with this new camera stack, you've got to set it up yourself on every pi.