[Development] Multi-Selection behavior of item views breaks drag'n'drop UX - options

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:37:27 CEST 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io>
wrote:

> Hey Widget fans,

Hola,

> I need your opinions on https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59888
>
> The UX resulting from our (strange) choice to trigger selection changes on
> mouse press rather than mouse release is indeed quite horrible, as
> explained in the ticket.
>
> The options to fix that seem to be:
>
> 1) change the default behavior - always change selection on mouse release
> 2) change the default behavior if drag (as per dragDropMode)
> 3) make the "selection trigger" a property

Personally, I'd go for 1). This is rather usual from the user point of
view. That's how buttons and other UI elements typically operate - by
handling the behaviour whenever the release occurred over the element of
interest.

Also this thread[1] may be of interest to you. Implementing 1) is also
probably going to make the hack to change the selection back moot.

[1]
https://forum.qt.io/topic/126692/reordering-rows-of-qtableview-with-drag-and-drop

Kind regards,
Konstantin.