[Development] Documentation of new Qt features in qtdoc

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Sat Nov 20 14:18:57 CET 2021

> On 20 Nov 2021, at 01:12, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 03:11:57PM +0000, Kai Koehne wrote:
>> Can we agree to document new features in Qt 6.3 and following released directly in qtdoc.git?
>>
> won't this cause conflict hell during release finalization? the turnaround time for submitting patches is still quite unreasonable for contended areas.
>
> it might work better if the update is done through a single collectively edited change. with gerrit's online editing functionality, this wouldn't even be much more cumbersome than editing the wiki.
> that would mean that jani would have post a link to a change he started instead of a wiki page as he did so far.

I’m in favour of having a single place for the What’s New documentation, and the documentation is the right place, so +1 for that.

But I share Ossi’s concern. Knowing how many of those changes happen late in the process, ending up with lots of them causing constant merge conflicts for everyone is going to suck.

So, having a change that everyone can edit using gerrit's web UI is a good proposal. +1 to that as well.

Volker