[Development] Documentation of new Qt features in qtdoc

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Mon Nov 22 15:56:42 CET 2021

ChangeLog entries from the git log may often be badly-worded or be written badly for the audience that’s going to read them, but I think we should still start from those, for the sake of completeness.  We can simply modify the tooling to output qdoc syntax instead of markdown.  Then we'll end up with the complete release notes in one place.  Of course we can still try to organize it to put big new features on top and bug fixes underneath, or separate pages or whatever.

Not everyone remembers to write ChangeLog entries on every patch that needs one, but we’re slowly getting more into the habit, and some reviewers are remembering to nag about it.  But making it a separate cumbersome step to mass-edit another change on another repo (with or without the “benefit” of using the gerrit UI) doesn’t sound like a recipe to get more participation in that process.

So maybe generate the first version from changlog entries, as soon as the release is branched off, and then plan on hand-editing (either the original patch or a series of followup patches).  Maybe it’s less work for a few people to condense a verbose disorganized pile of auto-generated prose than for the same people to try to remember everything that’s new in Qt, or to get everyone who added a feature to make a separate change in a separate repo in addition to writing the ChangeLog message.