[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 25 19:47:15 CET 2021

On Thursday, 25 November 2021 09:48:49 MST Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> Uh, how do you run tests on Windows without at least a VM?

Wine. That suffices for all tests that I care about (non-GUI).

But I do have access to a remote Windows Virtual Desktop. I just can't install
the compiler on it. So if I needed to run something, I could make a poor man's
deployment and run.

> (slightly off-topic; hopefully the issue can be fixed swiftly. But I’m
> curios how it’s possible to be productive with writing any cross-platform
> code without a local VM to run it on…)

It's VERY difficult. That's why I have a Mac Mini for Mac development. I also
used to develop on my IT-provided Windows laptop, but that machine has been in
a drawer since February/2020 (for reasons that should be obvious). I've only
got access to Unix systems that can be reached via SSH at this point.

This is also why dealing with the CI's QNX and INTEGRITY issues is so painful.
There's no toolchain available for them, no sysroot to check if definitions
exist, their compilers are known to be buggy, etc. I've been this close to
asking that one or both of those platforms be kicked out of the CI several
times in the past three months. Whoever's making money on them can take the
cost of making them work, not the rest of us.