[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 25 22:07:13 CET 2021

On Thursday, 25 November 2021 11:57:01 PST Martin Storsjö wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > macdeployqt is less of an issue because there's no good toolchain for
> > cross- compiling to a Mac. Apple does not provide the sources for their
> > ld64 linker, for example.
>
> They do provide sources for it, see e.g.
> https://opensource.apple.com/source/ld64/.

My mistake, thanks for the correction.

> It is possible (although not very common) to do cross compilation to macOS
> - I maintain such a setup at https://github.com/mstorsjo/xcode-cross
> (based on repos where Thomas Pöchtrager maintain patched versions of
> cctools and ld64).

Interesting I'll take a look.

Do you by any chance have a working icecream/iceccd compiler package? I have
200 job slots for Linux, for Windows, and for FreeBSD, but only 12 for Mac
(one 6-core Mac Mini).

> Cross compiling still requires a SDK root from Xcode (which afaik isn't
> redistributable), so my setup requires copying and stripping it down from
> a real Xcode install. (There are repos on github that provide the bare
> sysroots though, although I'm wouldn't bet on whether one can consider
> them redistributable like that - I haven't integrated scripts for making
> use of that.)

Well, I have a Mac Mini, so I have the sysroot. I can package it like I did
for FreeBSD. But I'm more interested in the icecream setup, which doesn't
require sysroot since everything is preprocessed on the host.

> > I don't know if lld is a good replacement.
>
> These days (last 6-12 months roughly) lld has become pretty mature for
> targeting macOS for x86_64 and aarch64 (AFAIK current release versions of
> Chrome are built with it), but I haven't tried hooking it up in my setups.

I think Chrome uses the standard Clang too, not Apple's fork.