[Development] Proposing to move deploy tools to qtbase

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Sat Nov 27 20:06:30 CET 2021

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 November 2021 09:21:58 MST Marius Kittler wrote:
> > > I don't need deployment from Linux in order to develop and it looks like
> > > people who have been using cross-compilation have worked around this
> > > issue.
> >
> > Yes, like mxedeployqt or using static linking.
>
> macdeployqt is less of an issue because there's no good toolchain for cross-
> compiling to a Mac. Apple does not provide the sources for their ld64 linker,
> for example. I don't know if lld is a good replacement. Besides, they fork
> LLVM at an arbitrary point in the branch and may patch it.

I think Marius meant mxedeployqt:

https://github.com/saidinesh5/mxedeployqt

Which is related to MXE, which is another project I'm glad I've learnt today about:

https://mxe.cc/

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021, at 9:58 AM, Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> If there are a lot of people doing this we should consider raising
> cross-compiling from Linux to Windows from "unsupported" to "community
> supported" at the very least.  I don't expect much work, because it's
> working quite well.  But it's not tested in the CI at all.

That would be pretty great. I do have access to Windows myself, but it's much
better to just do everything without having to reboot the OS, specially to an OS
that I rarely touch at all.

I will definitely look forward to write about this in a blog post, because this
kind of things are very convenient. I know some people who are very pleased of
WSL for the same reason (reversing the host/target OSs, of course).

Greetings.

-- Alex