[Development] Formal voting procedure for Qt Project

Daniel Smith daniel.smith at qt.io
Mon Oct 18 13:36:36 CEST 2021

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the input. Though the vote needs to be secret while underway, I've come up with a solution that I hope satisfies. Please look at the staging bot at https://qt-cherry-pick-bot-staging.herokuapp.com/voting

Users will now be assigned an auto-generated, random moniker when they vote, and the list of anonymized voters will be shown to the left of the voting form. When voting is closed, the individual votes will be visible, but still only for the monikers. Real usernames should never be revealed, as doing so could be a disincentive to voting in the first place.
As an additional measure, there's now a "Retrieve my vote" button which will show your vote. Authentication is still required to show your vote, so only you can view it.
Retrieving your vote will also remind you of your moniker, so you can verify it's showing in the list of counted votes.

Of course, this does not cover the problem of a hack to insert additional votes, though one would need to either hijack an existing maintainer or approver account, or hack gerrit in order to inject a new user into the Approver or Maintainer group to gain a vote.- Something that we'd have a difficult time stopping if someone were that determined anyhow. If an audit is required in the end, we would have useful information on when gerrit accounts were created and would be able to hand-verify that all the users who voted are real people who should have the right to vote.

-Daniel