[Development] moc output from non-local tool build

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Fri Oct 29 11:43:55 CEST 2021

On 10/28/21 5:52 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

>>> ping for decision prior to 6.3 feature freeze.
>>
>> With https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/378053 it's now
>> possible to turn off the package version check and to use moc of a
>> different Qt version.  This requires that moc stays either compatible or
>> handles that /version argument outlined elsewhere in this thread.
>
> Which is great, and is what I want, but we still need a decision on how long
> the compatibility window will be and how we will inform the tools of what
> version we're asking for.

A sliding window of two years has been proposed in this thread.
Assuming two minor version bumps per year, that's four minor versions.
Let's make that an odd number and we get the following

Proposal 1:
Qt 6.X should work with host tools of Qt 6.Y, where X-2 <= Y <= X+2

That's quite some commitment.
How about

Proposal 2:
Qt 6.X should work with host tools of Qt 6.Y, where X-1 <= Y <= X+1

That gives us less to test, and the sliding window is something like 1.5
years.

Joerg