[Development] moc output from non-local tool build

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 15 05:21:52 CEST 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 09:03:59 PDT Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> Unless QT_BUILD_TOOLS_WHEN_CROSSCOMPILING is ON which is used in yocto
> context.

I don't see why Yocto Project recipes need to be special.

My problem as a QtCore developer is that almost anything I do will cause the
Bootstrap lib to rebuild, then moc gets relinked, then header and source with
Q_OBJECT is re-moc'ed and recompiled.

When your change to use the pre-built tools is in, the problem lessens, in
that the moc that is used won't change, so I won't get everything re-moc'ed
and recompiled. However, the Bootstrap lib still gets recompiled and moc
relinked, so it's unnecessary work.

I'd like to start depopulating the Bootstrap lib so it's MUCH smaller: it
should only have what moc and tracegen need.