[Development] Repository request: playground/qtscrypt

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Wed Aug 31 20:57:31 CEST 2022

On 8/31/22 19:19, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 4:47 PM Cristián Maureira-Fredes
> <Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io> wrote:
>>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I would like to request a new repository on codereview.qt-project.org
>>
>> Name and description: qtscrypt - Script C++ with Python
>> Responsible person: Cristián Maureira-Fredes
>> (Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io)
>> Desired repository name: playground/qtscrypt
>> URL of existing code: https://git.qt.io/crmaurei/qtscrypt
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Won't this be confusing? We have had QtScript for the longest time and
> it looks like a typo.

Hey Aleix,

thanks for the comments.

I was under the impression that changing the 'i' for a 'y'
from P'y'thon was not confusing, because it was already
mentioned in a couple of talks and nobody mentioned
anything against it.

I wanted to avoid qtscript-python because it's not really qtscript,
it's just the main idea from it.

Do you have any other name suggestion?
(I really struggled with finding a name)

> "Script C++ with Python" < should this be "Use Python scripts from
> C++"? Or is it indeed C++ being scripted?

Sure,
it could also be 'Use Python scripts from C++',
(or "Use Python code from C++")
I just wanted to write something simple
like the fact that is adding some 'scripting flavor'
on top of C++ code, that's why "Script C++ with Python".

Following the Qt documentation, and the wikipedia page
from QtScript, some other options are:

"The QtScrypt module provides classes for making Qt applications
scriptable with Python"

or

"QtScrypt is a scripting engine that aims to be be part of the Qt
cross-platform application framework."

I'm open to new suggestions :)

> Aleix

In any case, If the name and description are too problematic,
I can continue the development outside the Qt Project,
until the project (and the name/description) are mature
enough that I can request a new repository. Just wanted
to make the code public and accept new contributions
from people that showed a positive response after
the last Qt Contributor Summit [1]

Cheers

[1] https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contributors_Summit_2022_-_Program/QtScrypt

--