[Development] Using Git notes to reflect actual cherry-picks

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Sat Feb 12 12:18:03 CET 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 11:04:25PM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>(I don't think qtbase is the right place for this)

yeah, probably somewhere in qtqa/.

>I'd like to propose we use Git notes to include information into
>commits about successful cherry-picks.

yay, i've been arguing for that before the cherry-pick bot even got
deployed, see QTQAINFRA-3382. oh, and i filed a gerrit upstream request:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=13743 .

>I have the scripts done, see above.
>All we need is that they are run weekly or the results pushed into the
>repository.

we can do better than that - with a plugin, gerrit supports git-like
server-side hooks just fine. see
https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/hooks/ .
alternatively, it'd also possible to monitor the gerrit event stream;
see
https://codereview.qt-project.org/Documentation/cmd-stream-events.html
(that's the mechanism the sanity bot relies on; you can find it in
qtrepotools//git-hooks/gerrit-bot (that location is historical and
violates current guidelines)).