[Development] Importing a module build in creator

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 10 15:02:43 CET 2022

On Monday, 10 January 2022 00:10:54 PST Eike Ziller wrote:
> Accept that, and open the toplevel Qt project. Should work fine, and
> _because_ CMake does not recursively create subprojects, the incremental
> build with Ninja is very fast on the whole project. No recursive make
> involved.

Unless you're developing QtCore, in which case changing QtCore sources often
involve rebuilding the bootstrap lib, the tools, and everything that those
tools generate. For those working on QtCore, I recommend:

  -DQT_FORCE_FIND_TOOLS=ON
  -DQT_HOST_PATH=$HOME/path/to/another/qt/build

This saved me a lot of trouble during the vacations, as it is far easier to
debug QString issues with its unit test than figuring out how moc broke.

The only problem is if you do the above, then you don't have qmake and you
can't build qmake-based projects against your Qt build. You can get away with
using the other build's qmake and then changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
your Qt.