[Development] Updating x86 SIMD support in Qt

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Wed Jan 19 20:03:44 CET 2022

Hi,

On 19/01/2022 18:50, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> I have a ~10 year old Phenom II that I use as a media server, it also lacks
> SSE4 (only having AMDs so-called SSE4a). With 3 cores and 4GB of memory it
> runs a modern Qt5 based Linux desktop just fine, even if I don't regularly use
> it as such. So while it is no great loss for me if I needed to replace it with
> a 200€ NUC, it is certainly plausible people have such working old machines. I
> think it is fine to let the default not work on such machines, and let the
> distros that want to support it use v1.

...let me have a look at /proc/cpuinfo of my main workstation: same CPU
(Phenom II), 2.1GHz, Quad-Core, 16GB RAM. Enough RAM to do almost
everything comfortably, enough CPU to do complex C++ development on it.
More than enough for a modern KDE 5 desktop (the disk is slowing me down
more than the CPU). In combination with a moderately more modern AMD
graphics board I can do 3D CAD without a worry - the bottleneck is
always the calculation of the 3D CAD model itself before it gets
tesselated, never the rendering. Granted, compiler runs could be faster,
but it is not at a level that motivates me to invest a kilobuck into a
new machine.

To be perfectly honest: if the pre-built Qt 6.4 crashes on my system
because it requires some CPU feature without a fallback I will probably
stay with 6.3 and seriously consider adopting WxWidgets - it seems less
effort and investment than buying a new machine or building Qt myself. I
need to learn WxW anyway.

     Konrad