[Development] Updating x86 SIMD support in Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 19 23:21:06 CET 2022

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 14:03:41 PST Kevin Kofler via Development wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Clear Linux attempts to use a heuristic to guess which libraries it thinks
> > are worth keeping the AVX2 version of. To see which ones it thought of
> > qtbase, see https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/qtbase/blob/
> > e16f08be736d28351219b05e807a6468ea39341b/qtbase.spec#L5771-L5902
>
> Why is the baseline libQt5Sql in -extras and the haswell one in -lib?

Unintended.

First of all, this file no longer applies. Clear Linux switched to a different
solution for providing v3 and v4 content.

The reason is that the previous solution involved the heuristic script[1] I
had mentioned: it tried to guess whether it was worth keeping the v3 and v4
files. If it thought it wasn't worth, it simply deleted the file. Then
Autospec wouldn't package it.

The qtbase-extras package exists to enable Quassel Core without bringing the
full X11 dependency. It is a manual solution. See
https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/qtbase/blob/master/extras

So my guess is that an update to the compiler caused it to generate different
code in QtSql that the script now concluded was worth keeping. As it isn't
mentioned in the "extras" file, it got packaged as a regular library.

[1] https://github.com/clearlinux/clr-avx-tools