[Development] Proposing to officially allow C++20 types in Qt 6 ABIs

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at qt.io
Thu Jan 27 20:54:37 CET 2022

Hi Thiago,

> So here's my counter-proposal:
>
> We allow C++17 and C++20 Standard Library types in our ABI provided:
> * we update our builds, all of them, to build with C++20 by default
> * the use of those symbols in the ABI is NOT behind an #if __cpp_lib check

This limits our ABI on _all_ platforms to the lowest common denominator _across_ platforms. That is precisely what we want to change: we want to be able to provide ABI that uses std::span and coroutines _without_ having to wait for Integrity, QNX, and Apple to get their act together.

Unless we want to start with macros like Q_STDLIB_SPAN again?

Thanks,
Marc