[Development] Code Review of Build File Changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jul 21 00:30:01 CEST 2022

On Wednesday, 20 July 2022 11:29:57 PDT Mattie Nejati wrote:
> I’m Mattie, a Ph.D. student at the University of Waterloo and I’ve been
> studying the code review process of build files in Qt. For example, I’ve
> found that changes to build files are 2 to 4 times less likely to be
> discussed during code review than changes to source code or test files.

I dispute the hypothesis. You haven't proven it, and you're now proceeding to
find out why something is before ascertaining that it is so.

There are two people who can review build system changes. You should find other
code areas that only have one or two people who can ever review them (or,
worse, zero) and there's a similar symptom there.

I also recommend you see how documentation-only changes are reviewed, and
ditto for unit-test-only changes.