[Development] Updates on Qt Location

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jul 23 13:38:08 CEST 2022

Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> From what we see (in download numbers and when talking to customers
> waiting for Qt Location), making Qt Location work with Qt 6.2 brings the
> most value to most users, Open Source or otherwise.

Your download counts do not include Open Source users because those get Qt
(and Qt Location) from their GNU/Linux distribution, not directly from
upstream.

In addition, there will necessarily be few Open Source users of Qt 6 as long
as most KDE software is not ready for it. (Instead, KDE maintains their own
branches of Qt 5 with bugfix backports to work around your hostile LTS
policy.) And missing modules such as Qt Location are a big part of why.

As I understand it, Qt Location is needed even by a part of Qt itself: for
QtWebEngine, in order to support HTML 5 geolocation. (At least the
qt5-qtwebengine package I comaintain has a "BuildRequires: qt5-qtlocation-
devel".) Or has that changed?

So GNU/Linux distributions WILL need Qt Location to work with QtBase 6.3 and
6.4, and QtWebEngine 6.3 and 6.4 to work with Qt Location (no matter what
version number you put on your Qt Location releases).

        Kevin Kofler