[Development] Updates on Qt Location

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jul 23 14:33:43 CEST 2022

Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> In the dependency declaration in the current dev branch [1], qtwebengine
> lists qtpositioning, and not qtlocation.
>
> [1] https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine.git/tree/dependencies.yaml
>
> So I assume that this covers the geolocation functionality that was needed
> from Qt Location in Qt 5. After all, we have been releasing Qt WebEngine
> with Qt 6 for a while now without Qt Location being available.

Understood. So with Qt Positioning being separate, I guess you can do more
experiments with Qt Location now.

Still, if GNU/Linux distributions are to ship it, they will need it building
and running against Qt 6.3 and soon 6.4.

> Once we have the 6.2-based Qt Location in good shape, I will probably not
> be able to keep spending a lot of my time on that module, as there is
> plenty to do elsewhere. I'll come back to Qt Location when Qt 6.5 is
> getting close.
>
> But anyone is of course welcome to see what it takes to make it also work
> with 6.3 and 6.4, and to contribute patches. Updating the 6.3 and 6.4
> branches so that necessary patches can be contributed will of course not
> be a problem. We can build that bridge once we get there.

Well, that leaves the work to keep your code working to distributors. I am
not sure Qt Location will be shipped by anyone before 6.5 if that is its
upstream state (especially now that the positioning parts, which are used by
several other packages, are separate). If that is what you want, fine.

        Kevin Kofler