[Development] Windows plugin customisation: QWindowsKeyMapper

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Jul 30 14:12:07 CEST 2022

Hi,

What is the recommended way to customise the behaviour of built-in plugins,
like a windows plugin , QWindowsKeyMapper in particular?

To be specific, if we wanted to pass this alt+space to the application
rather than Qt forwarding it to Windows, the operating system? Like a
potential break here before showing the system menu?

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/src/plugins/platforms/windows/qwindowskeymapper.cpp#n1219

Trying to figure out what the most forward-looking and future proof way
rather than directly modify vanilla Qt.

Another use case (not ours) that I was told is that if someone writes a
remote desktop client in Qt and it is desirable to pass alt+f4 to this
application to process it inside the guest as opposed to closing the remote
desktop Qt application or something similar.

One idea is environment variables, but may not be the best. Seeking your
input and hope we can sort this out together.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
László