[Development] Default assignees in Jira (was: Jira tickets for Qt Print Support)

Mike Krus mike.krus at kdab.com
Thu Jun 2 13:13:18 CEST 2022

> On 2 Jun 2022, at 09:24, Edward Welbourne <edward.welbourne at qt.io> wrote:
>
> Sze Howe Koh (01 June 2022 16:03) wrote:
>> Changing the default of Qt Print Support to "Unassigned" sounds
>> reasonable in this case. How does this occur?
>
> I believe Jira admins do this on request.
> I suggest Mike e-mail Alex Blasche about that.
will do

>> Also, Qt 3D tickets are auto-assigned to Sean Harmer who hasn't been
>> active in ~1.5 years [1]. Mike Krus has been manually taking recent
>> tickets [2] and has privately expressed willingness to take Sean's
>> place -- I'd like to nominate Mike as default assignee for Qt 3D. As
>> far as I'm aware, the formal procedure for this and the eligibility
>> criteria are not specified in any QUIP -- does it make sense to add
>> Jira default assignees to QUIP 2?
>
> I think the default assignee situation is mostly a case if "is anyone
> willing ?" with perhaps a side-order of whether the Maintainer of
> relevant code considers them suitable.  So if Mike Krus is willing and
> we have no objection from a the Maintainer of Qt 3D, it'd be better to
> have the tickets assigned by default to someone willing and active.
>
> I see Sean is in fact listed [0] as one of the Maintainers of Qt 3D
> (alongside Laszlo Agocs, Svenn-Arne Dragly and Paul Lemire); if he is no
> longer active, it's perhaps time for someone to politely contact him and
> ask if he'd like to step down and, if so, in favour of whom.
I can see what Sean thinks of it. Someone should do the same with Svenn-Arne
and Laszlo since they have not contributed to Qt3D for even longer. Think
the idea at the time was for someone from the Qt Company to be involved but
this has never happened.

> The coming
> virtual QtCS [1] has a session on the question of how we deal with Ghost
> Maintainers, so this may be an example to take up there.
I am unfortunately not available next week.

Mike