[Development] Asking for a FF exception for ICU based QStringConverter

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 8 18:40:29 CEST 2022

On Wednesday, 8 June 2022 07:17:29 PDT Fabian Kosmale wrote:
> - There are concerns that mixing Qt versions might lead to an unbounded
> memory leak with the current implementation. I don't think that's actually
> the case (but if it is, then we need a different enough approach that this
> most likely has to be deferred to Qt 6.5 at least).

To be clear for everyone: this can happen (depending on where we introduce the
new API) if some code is using QStringConverter with codec names that it
currently doesn't support. This is likely to be very limited, because that
code is currently not working (it always produces an invalid encoder/decoder).
That probably means it's blind porting from QTextCodec which did support more
codecs. The fix is to simply recompile.

> Given the above, would it be possible to grant a feature freeze exemption
> until end of next week for this feature?

As a maintainer of the module in question, I'm ok with this. It's a new
feature, but it has no new API.