[Development] QPushButton: drag and drop

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Jun 10 10:07:05 CEST 2022

On 10/06/2022 06:48, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I do not know what you mean. From what I can see, it is not going to
> break anything. Those customers who worked around the design flaw, in my
> opinion (you are free to disagree of course), they will not notice the
> fix because they have not started handling the release event themselves.
> So, how could something break that they have not used?

Take for instance QAbstractItemView. You drag something from it, right
now it does not receive a release. But say it starts receiving a
release, it may start editing the current item because has an edit
trigger to start editing on single click or something like that.

Pushbuttons or toolbuttons may start triggering clicked(), and so on.

In short, there are concrete possibilities of a breakage here if you
merely send a _release_.

Now I'm not saying that a release makes NO sense. It does, but it's one
of those scenarios "if we had a time machine and did it 20 years ago".
Right now I'm really afraid that such a change will do more harm than
good (although I don't have numbers, i.e. I didn't implement the change
and checked for breakages.)

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts