[Development] Rvalue pinning in Qt

Rafael Roquetto rafael at roquetto.com
Tue Jun 21 05:43:27 CEST 2022

Hi,

On 6/21/22 11:26, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20/06/2022 17:39, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 June 2022 07:46:57 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development
>> wrote:
>>> A fancy name for: "if a function/class is operating on a rvalue, should
>>> it store a copy of it in order to keep it alive?". Consider
>> In other words, remove the rvalue reference and store a copy from the
>> const-
>> lvalue reference overload you already have.
>
> Well, not necessarily. Say the input is a lvalue std::u16string; you
> don't want the tokenizer to unconditionally copy it.
> So it just takes a reference, and should continue to do so.

I'll just give my two cents here (and sorry if I end up re-stating the
obvious):

  1. taking an rvalue can dangle, and robust code should not accept that
  2. always copying can be potentially expensive.

Point number 1 trumps point number 2 IMHO, as it ensures that code will
never break, at the expense of a performance penalty in _relevant
hotpaths_. I would solve that by providing the user with a non-owning
separate API analogous to QByteArray::fromRawData(), that operates on
lvalue references.

This makes the reasoning over the API simpler IMHO - the base case is
robust, always working as intended. The user is free to pass the object
around as it's self-contained.

Should performance be an issue, the user can resort to the non-owning
version. This forces the user to reason about the code rather than
blindly and inconsequentially relying on some overload and spares a
future reader from having to figure out solely from context if a given
statement is copying or simply referencing a value.

To piggy-back on your example (Haystack&& represents an rvalue, not
universal refs, pseudo-code for illustration purposes):

1. QStringTokenizer(Haystack h, ...); // always copy
2. QStringTokenizer::makeView(const Haystack&, ...); // always reference
(only lvalues)
3. QStringTokenizer::makeView(Haystack&&, ...); // disabled/deleted -
compile error

(1) should be enough for most use-cases. (2) opens up for the
possibility of having a tokenizer that potentially carries a dangling
reference, but should only be used in optimization paths or local
scopes. (3) emits a compile error (the user should probably be using 1
in this case).

Not sure how scalable this approach is in terms of a global Qt API, though.

- Rafael