[Development] Splitting Qt Network out of qtbase (was: QtBase network failures)

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Mon Jun 27 13:08:40 CEST 2022

> On 26 Jun 2022, at 17:35, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Sunday, 26 June 2022 06:38:30 PDT Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
>> (*) As for the UNC stuff - it seems that we are testing only string parsing
>> code. We are not taking care of any of the actual network traffic or SMB
>> protocol. So do we need to access a share from a remote server at all?
>> Would it be an option to create and share a folder on the Windows VMs
>> running those tests during provisioning, and then use '\\$(COMPUTERNAME)’?
>> That works for me on a local VM at least, all QFile tests pass (and we
>> could probably even enable tst_QFile::largeUncFileSupport and simplify
>> tst_QFile::writeLargeDataBlock_data) after running this as admin:
>
> This is a very good idea.

This now implemented in:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qt5/+/418785 (provisioning script)
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/418799 (use UNC paths to local shares in tests)

Works nicely on a local minicoin Windows VM (except tst_qdiriterator, for the unrelated reason that the test tries to create a directory structure in the source tree of the test).

Volker