[Development] Proposal to delete the "Maintainers" group in gerrit

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Tue Jun 28 16:38:28 CEST 2022

Hi,

As per the Governance Model QUIP [1], the authoritative list of maintainers is the wiki page [2]

[1] https://quips-qt-io.herokuapp.com/quip-0002.html#maintainers
[2] https://wiki.qt.io/Maintainers

We have a “Maintainers” group in gerrit as well [3], which is not mentioned in the QUIP, and which does not control any access or privileges in the context of code reviews on gerrit. From what we have seen, the only practical use this group ever had was for the recent Chief Maintainer voting.

[3] https://codereview.qt-project.org/admin/groups/a60ed457f6e3833c81023c72743ba73c7e23fb09,members

If that is the only or best mechanism we have to control access to such a voting system, then I’d rather have us create such a gerrit group from the wiki page source when needed, and discard it afterwards so that we continue to have only a single source of truth that we need to maintain.

If anyone is aware of any other reason why this group needs to exist, please share! Otherwise I will ask the gerrit-admins to delete the group.

Volker