[Development] Renaming QLatin1String to QLatin1StringView

Sona Kurazyan sona.kurazyan at qt.io
Fri Mar 11 09:46:16 CET 2022

Hi All,

I'd like to inform you that I'm working on a series of changes (originally started by Marc Mutz) for introducing QLatin1StringView as an alias to QLatin1String https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/400032 and gradually switching to using it in our codebase and docs https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/399872. The motivation is keeping API consistency: QLatin1String is not an owning container, but a view and should be named like other Qt string view classes. In Qt 7, QLatin1StringView will become "the real" class for Latin-1 string view, and QLatin1String will be kept as alias to it.

Note that Qt 6.4 introduces a literal operator""_L1 for constructing Latin-1 string literals, to minimize the porting effort from QLatin1String to QLatin1StringView.

You can also check https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-98434 for more details.

Please let me know, if there are any opinions or concerns that should be considered before proceeding and merging the changes.

Thanks,
Sona