[Development] State of Qt Speech

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu May 5 17:10:37 CEST 2022

Hi,

Qt Speech is getting ready to be included in Qt 6.4:

https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-speech-coming-to-qt-6.4

There are a few old changes on gerrit trying to implement additional engine plugins, e.g. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtspeech/+/240390 and https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtspeech/+/240392

For those of you that have built their own engines in the past: note that we have taken the QTextToSpeechProcessor abstractions out of the code base as it didn’t add any real value over just using a QThread that runs an event loop and handles signal/method invocations the usual way.

Some of the other things have made (or about to make) their way upstream: QML support, and passing parameters through to the engine.

If there are any things that we should take into consideration before Qt 6.4 feature or API freeze, now is a good time to let us know!

Cheers,
Volker