[Development] QTreeView: vertical bar between columns

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Tue May 17 17:36:31 CEST 2022

Hi,

On 17/05/2022 14:58, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> As mentioned in the JIRA ticket: perhaps a treeview, which is designed
> to show rows of data, not cells of data, is not the right UI component
> for the job, and the problem you try to solve seems very application
> specific (I’m not aware of a native tree view on macOS or Windows that
> provides a strong visual border between columns; ie macOS’s folder has
> a specific Column view mode for that). Override the delegate and make
> each cell stand out more if you want, or override the view’s
> paintEvent and render whatever you want after the view is done. I
> don’t think this belongs into QTreeView.

It is a really common requirement - if you have complex hierarchical
models then sometimes you have no choice but to display parts of the
hierarchy in a table. Unfortunately QTableView is not able to view trees
and QTreeView is sub-optimal for viewing tables. What is required is a
widget or mode of a widget that combines both abilities. I've had this
requirement in almost all of my projects that try to visualize and
interact with complex data analyses.

Having a "cell border" setting for a tree view, a derived view class or
delegate class for that purpose would make things considerably easier
for those among us wrangling complex data into expert GUIs. ;-)

Last time I tried to solve this problem I derived from
QStyledItemDelegate and got something that kind of works, but looks
ugly. I would have greatly appreciated a simple setting or ready made
class that draws cell borders in tree views in a way that is consistent
with the style.

     Konrad