[Development] QTreeView: vertical bar between columns

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue May 17 18:06:50 CEST 2022

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 4:51 PM Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

> What is required is a widget or mode of a widget that combines both
>> abilities.
>>
> QTreeView already sort of does that, although badly. Basically, a header
> makes it look like a table, but it is also a tree. That is why I think the
> feature request is valid. It should either not have a header or header
> formatting for this, and then you can argue body formatting is moot, or if
> it has header and header formatting, then the body formatting ought to be
> consistent.

Just googled an image:
https://docs.unity3d.com/uploads/Main/TreeViewAPI-0.png (Unity, fairly
common software)

They say "multiple columns". As far as I am concerned, a QTreeView is a
special QTableView. You can see on the above image that it is column and
row based and as a direct consequence, you have "cells" of data. It is just
that the tree visual expand into the first column a bit more due to its
graphical nature, but it eventually is column-based.