[Development] QKeySequenceEdit questions

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed May 18 09:45:56 CEST 2022

> As a datapoint
> https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kguiaddons/html/classKeySequenceRecorder.html
> (which
> supports single letter shortcuts, used by KShortcutsDialog and co.).

Thanks for sharing that.

I do not know where the idea of "key sequence" comes from, but it does look
like what we are looking for in practice is a "QShortcutEdit". Presumably,
that is what KDE would also appreciate.

The current proposal is to make QKeySequenceEdit be able to behave like a
QShortcutEdit by adding a property. But for keyboard shortcuts, "key
sequence" does not make all that much sense. We are just retrofitting it
for that purpose, I feel.

For a truly clean solution and design, we would need to decouple the two, I
feel.

Anyway, hopefully, if QKeySequenceEdit becomes potent to behave like a
QShortcutEdit widget, that is fine for now. Maybe, KDE could then drop its
own solution in favor of what is available in Qt.