[Development] C++20 comparisons @ Qt (was: Re: C++20 @ Qt)

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at qt.io
Thu Nov 3 17:48:49 CET 2022

Hi Thiago,

On 03.11.22 16:17, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> the devil will be in the details because of QT_REMOVED_SINCE.

What, specifically, are you thinking about here? For the sketched
approach to work, no new relational operator must be exported, because
we need to keep BC between C++17 and C++20 builds. If existing ones are,
we'll need to QT_REMOVED_SINCE them. Where's the problem?

> For some classes, we could postpone changing anything until C++20 is required.

You lost me there. Why do you think so? Because of the sentence above?
Requiring C++20 won't be a BC break, so we'd still have all the old
exported relational operators to QT_REMOVED_SINCE.

> Meanwhile, we have qcompare.h.

Here, too, I feel lost. I'm struggling to see what a NIH
std::partial_ordering w/o the weak and strong counterparts and w/o op<=>
language support could achieve, except another vocabulary type mismatch.
Can you elaborate?

Meanwhile, in a Jira comment, Eddy discovered a potential problem with
partial_ordering::unordered: we have a lot of types that have
std::optional folded into them (isNull/isValid) and, if they're ordered,
they need to have decided on a total order, ie. incl. for invalid/null
ones (QDateTime sorts invalid before valid e.g.). These types' op<=>
could now return unordered for invalid values, but that would change the
semantics of the op< derived from it vis a vis the existing op<.

I'm also fearful that Qt might be the only library that makes such
widespread use of partial_ordering::unordered, because it's the only
library that bakes optional semantics into so many of its types.

So, for new classes, by all means, use partial_ordering, but for
existing types, I'd err on the side of caution and keep the total
ordering for now and see how the greater C++ ecosystem's support for
partial_ordering::unordered evolves. After all, unordered just means NaN
semantics, and I've never heard of someone that likes that behaviour:

   NaN == NaN is false
   NaN != NaN is false
   NaN < NaN is false

Thanks,