[Development] Renaming quint128

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Fri Nov 18 13:16:48 CET 2022

On 2022 Nov 18, at 03:13, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com<mailto:thiago.macieira at intel.com>> wrote:

I was working on extended integers and added qint128 and quint128 to qglobal.h

Interesting.  How far can we go with doubling bits?  quint512 in case you have AVX-512 registers?  (I must get a laptop with that feature, next time; since even Zen 3 doesn’t have it, I still don’t have any machine that does)

Variable-sized ints shouldn’t be a template though?

Maybe CBOR bignums would have a use for it?  Various kinds of hashes?  I’d really like it if cryptographic hashes often ended up being numeric again.

QUuid should have a use for it.

What else can we interoperate with? gmplib.org<http://gmplib.org> perhaps; maybe some C++ standard could be in the works?

What about having varints in Qt some day?  (Like the way protobuf stores ints)  I wonder why CBOR doesn’t have them.