[Development] Remaining tools in CMAKE_INSTALL_BINDIR

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 7 18:55:52 CEST 2022

On Friday, 7 October 2022 02:34:06 PDT Ulf Hermann via Development wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would consider qml, qmlscene, qmlpreview, qmlprofiler, and qmltime to
> be equivalent to their Qt 5 versions, and indeed user-facing.

And would replacing the Qt 5 versions with Qt 6 be an imperceptible change to
the user? What happens if their own QML content has plugins? I assume Qt
itself ships equivalent plugins to everything that hadn't been deprecated
before 6.0.

> qmltc is not user-facing. It's a compiler and should live in the same
> place as qmlcachegen.

$ ls */qmlcachegen
libexec/qmlcachegen

> qmljs is a general-purpose JavaScript interpreter. So, it's kind of
> user-facing and equivalent to the Qt5 version. We only build it for
> developer builds, though (AFAIK).

Fair enough, this one doesn't count then.

> qmlplugindump is the same as in Qt5. It should be a build tool, but it
> is not, due to ... shortcomings. People generally invoke it manually.
> Also, it's deprecated in Qt6.

Can we disable its build & installation by default?

> qmldom is a debugging helper for the QmlDom library. As such it is user
> facing, bit it should only be built for developer builds.

Thanks.