[Development] Using '#pragma once' instead of include guards?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 11 22:08:21 CEST 2022

On Monday, 10 October 2022 13:14:19 PDT Scott Bloom wrote:
> The main issue I have, is we build a tool with tons of sub libraries and
> modules, with a pretty poor build environment.  We have 800+ developers
> using it, so any change is done by a committee and takes years ☹
>
> Our Qt gets places in a area everyone gets access to. Ie
> /usr/local/shared_data/Qt on linux and a mount Q:/Qt/ on windows, but Q:
> can all be accessed via //SHAREPOINT/shared_data/Qt

This reminds me of another potential problem, which is vendored content.

Let me start by saying that vendoring third party content should be avoided at
all costs. We've discussed this recently for Qt itself.

But we've seen customers check in Qt into their repositories. If one can do
it, two can. And then we're a stone's throw away from having two vendored
projects with two distinct but identical copies of Qt.

I'd frankly call this "you shot yourself in the foot" kind of problem, but
it's also a problem we don't have right now and I don't see a need to
introduce it.