[Development] Print Screen does not work with Qt context menus

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Oct 20 09:39:03 CEST 2022

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:14 AM Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, 19 October 2022 09:15:02 PDT Giuseppe D'Angelo via
> Development
> wrote:
> > Things like Firefox seem to be able to do the "right thing" --
> > desktop-wide shortcuts are triggered even if a menu is open (although to
> > say it all the menu closes, and then the shortcut triggers, so it won't
> > help OP anyway for their specific use case...).
>
> My guess is that they do grab the key, but once they realise that they
> can't
> do anything with it, they dismiss the menu and reinject into the queue.

They do not seem to close or dismiss the menu. They capture that fine for
Print Screen. My guess would be that they pass the event back to the
operating system and/or windowing manager. I do not know whether Qt or a Qt
application could easily do the same.

We have got a request for this in our application and it was expressed that
they would like similar behaviour. The timed solution was also considered
and was not deemed sufficient. So, at least, an opt-in solution would be
preferable.