[Development] qsizetype

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Sep 7 08:45:45 CEST 2022

Alex Blasche wrote:
> 2.) An alternative might be to make this change in one go for Qt 7. We
> would keep Qt 6.x on the status quo but start adding compatible
> replacement APi with an absolute change at 7.0 (ifdefs or typedefs come to
> mind). Users would only be burdened one time (though it being one BIG time
> effort). Such a change would be much simpler in Qt headers.

It scares me that a Qt 7 is already being planned or discussed at all,
considering that your major consumers such as KDE Plasma are not even ported
to Qt 6 yet! (Note that I am talking about *consumers* here, not only about
(paying) customers. The former includes FOSS projects such as KDE.)

Those major/BIC releases need to happen a lot less frequently, or ideally,
stop entirely. At least if you want your consumers to keep up (and you
clearly do or you would not have restricted access to Qt 5.15 LTS).

You should plan for Qt 6.x releases (rather than 7.x) for at least 10 more
years, if not indefinitely.

        Kevin Kofler