[Development] Could support for C be added to Qt?

samuel ammonius sfammonius at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 02:53:09 CEST 2022

> Why does it need to be added to the C++ header? Why not have a fully
separate
> header tree?

The main reason was so that C programs can include headers from the same
locations as C++ can. A separate header tree is a better idea though now
that I
think about it.

> But we'll need a proof of concept this actually works.

No problem, I'll try to get a working one finished and uploaded on my github
account. I tried looking at the python binder for a while, but the code
doesn't
look like it could be reused for binding other languages so I think it
would be
easier to just start from scratch.

---
> I do not see why you want this to be "approved for Qt" to begin with. I
> think it is much more practical to keep the C bindings separate, just as
all
> the other language bindings out there.

It probably wouldn't make too big of a difference if the bindings were
external
or internal now that wrapper functions are pretty much going to be used for
everything, but I think it would be better if they were internal since it
would
make developers more likely to try it out instead of feeling like GTK is
the only
option that's really built for C. Other than that, having C-like symbols
could
also come in handy in the future for binding other languages.