[Development] [EXTERNAL EMAIL] Could support for C be added to Qt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 15 16:23:44 CEST 2022

On Thursday, 15 September 2022 01:42:43 PDT Edward Welbourne wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 5:16 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >> How about a wrapper to the wrapper?
>
> samuel ammonius (14 September 2022 23:52) replied:
> > Why wrap a wrapper that wraps C++ when you can just wrap C++? Aside
> > from the fact that it probably wouldn't be any easier, it would also
> > start to add up the overhead of function calls.
>
> Given the quote Thiago followed that suggestion with, I encourage you to
> interpret the suggestion as a joke,

It's only a joke if it doesn't work.

It was a half-serious half-joke attempt. I don't know what SWIG generates, but
it's possible the output is not suitable for direct use, but must be wrapped
by a nice API in the target language that must also be generated somehow. If
that were possible for C, then a wrapping might help.